Tuesday, August 23, 2011

BARAMI IS HAVING A SALE!

and so, that is where i went for cover during the earthquake of 2011.

actually this is how it happened:

barami having an 80% off sale.

i'm browsing.

i exit barami.

cell phone rings.

michelle: ARE YOU OKAY?
me: yeah! i went to a sale at barami before calling you first.
michelle: OMG THANK GOD YOU'RE OKAY. WE'RE HAVING AN EARTHQUAKE.

i pull my half eaten turkey sandwich from my bag and continue on with my afternoon. guessing i should head back to the building and see if my podmates monica and ileana are okay, i keep looking for signs of said earthquake from the other pedestrians. no word, no cell phone talk of it, no grasping of one another and freaking out, nothing.

i get closer to my building and everyone the starts piling out of the building like ants from their hole.

i run into christina, a coworker of mine who actually moved here from virginia, "the epicenter of the quake" (as randomer put it to me later, pump up the dramatics) a few months ago and she says she doesn't understand when this earthquake occurred, i told her i understood, i felt crazy because i was at barami's 80% off sale.

i get in touch with monica and ileana and they asked me if i was okay and i said i didn't feel anything i was at the sale at barami.

and then started the randomer asking me questions about what happened. "do we know anything yet?" "5.8" i said "earthquake" ::EXCLAMATORY VOICE:: FIVE POINT 8!

i hear margarita, my other coworker on her cell phone "cinco (word for point in spanish) ocho" (or however you spell 8 in spanish).

it wasn't until i was about to go back up that i realized the randomer works in my office, i didn't recognize her without her desk in front of her.

some people went home, some people came back up into the building and here i am. at my desk.

i email my boss: just checking in, you know, because we had an earthquake, which i didn't feel. hope you are well.

his response: thanks. didn't feel it here either.

i wonder if he was at the barami sale too.